First we trekked back to Mount Vernon. We had come to Mount Vernon right when we moved out here to Virginia and loved it. This time the trees were green and much more beautiful, and there was also a lot more people. Eliza and Esther's favorite part was playing with sticks in the dirt. Good times.



That night after dinner Esther provided the evening's entertainment. Esther LOVES to play this game. Basically, Erik holds her way up in the sky and she free falls it into a huge face plant. Quite honestly, it scares the poo out of me. I just keep imagining her biting her tongue or maiming herself in some other way. But I can't stress enough how happy she gets doing a huge face plant straight into the pillow. I don't know how she does it. Her face is the first thing that hits the pillow every time. Here she is waving from way up high:

Face plant impact!


Sunday we had a pretty low-key day with a Cajun boil and some killer cupcakes, and I took Eliza to see her first fireworks show that night. Yum - homemade cream cheese frosting.

On Monday, Eliza and I got to go on a special adventure with all the "grown-ups" into DC. We ate at Old Ebbitt's Grill, which is a restaurant that has been around since 1856 and according to it's history "it was a favorite of Presidents Grant, Cleveland, Harding and Theodore Roosevelt and is still a popular meeting spot for political insiders." 
After lunch, we walked another 12324 miles to the Air and Space Smithsonian to see a little family history - an exhibit devoted to Otto Lilienthal, one of the pioneers of modern flight. The walk would have actually been nice if it weren't 1000 degrees.

Eliza wanted her picture taken by "Mary Poppins."
Eliza wanted her picture taken by "Mary Poppins."



The rest of the week was pretty low-key, just hanging out at home with some little adventures here and there. We saw Toy Story 3 (and cried just a little), NeNe taught me how to knit (at least my first lesson - I still have a long ways to go) and how to make her infamous ice cream cake roll (Erik's favorite). It went by way too quickly. Thanks for coming everybody!!!



Amy, great post! Love the Esther "in-flight" pictures, and your Mom's great horror face. Makes us want to come back and visit again, especially Ebbits and the Zoo. BTW, the really DID make it to the moon and back :)
ReplyDeleteWowzers, nice post! Ok, just looking at the pictures of Erik throwing her on the couch make me cringe!! All that goes through my head is "just being off a feeeeew inches could be drastic!" I will probably have some major protective issues to get over when I have kids. Although I love her face and hair in the pictures, and also your mom's face is hilarious.
ReplyDeleteI love the picture by "Mary Poppins" - Eliza's foot pop is super cute! Man, so many fun adventures to be had at your guys' place - we need to come!